helicopter simulator?
Ramey
2007-05-13 01:01:32 UTC
Does anyone know what is the best helicopter simulator? Something
that either runs on Win XP or a stand-alone game with a joy stick I
would have to buy. I want to learn before I buy a real RC copter.
Thanks!
Ramey
G-Dawg
2007-05-13 03:19:50 UTC
Post by Ramey
Does anyone know what is the best helicopter simulator? Something
that either runs on Win XP or a stand-alone game with a joy stick I
would have to buy. I want to learn before I buy a real RC copter.
Thanks!
Ramey
Ramey, That's a big question full of opinions...

I have purchased, tried and sold them all. The one I did keep was the new
Phoenix-Sim. It beat out Reflex XTR in my opinion, which was second best for
helis.

IMHO,
Gary
funfly3
2007-05-13 09:08:25 UTC
Post by Ramey
Does anyone know what is the best helicopter simulator? Something
that either runs on Win XP or a stand-alone game with a joy stick I
would have to buy. I want to learn before I buy a real RC copter.
Thanks!
Ramey
you can get the feel of a helicopter with FMS its free but far to easy
to fly, its what I learnt to hover with and with a normal pc joystick
with a twist option for rudder/tail, it will give a feel of what its
like but it only really helps with orientation not handling
"Nigel Heather" the-heathers.co.uk>
2007-05-13 10:23:36 UTC
The generally regarded top 3 in alphabetical order are

Phoenix
Real Flight G3.5
Reflex XTR

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/
http://www.realflight.com/
http://www.reflex-sim.de/reflex-sim/shop/catalog/

Order of price (in UK anyway - assume is true elsewhere)

Real Flight G3.5 (most expensive)
Reflex XTR - two versions available (iVol and SlimStick) - this ranking is
for the SlimStick version - iVol version may be more expensive than G3.5
Phoenix (least expensive)

Controller required

Real Flight G3.5 - comes with own controller - can also connect a
transmitter
Reflex XTR - two purchase options - iVol version has own controller -
SlimStick version requires transmitter
Phoenix - you have

All these need high spec PC, particularly with good graphics card

All pretty good, all with there own fan base that will claim there's is the
best, ecah has it pros and cons over the others.

Cheap option

Use FMS - free to download and use - can use ordinary PC joystick/gamepad or
even keyboard. Can buy/make an interface so that you can use a transmitter
aswell.

Flight Physics - not in the same league as top three but that aside it is a
fantastic piece of software given its free and is very useful for you to get
the initial idea of the controls and whether you wnat to take the hobby
further.

Download here - http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

Cheers,

Nigel
Doug McLaren
2007-05-16 18:55:36 UTC
In article <4646e6e5$0$30919$***@news.astraweb.com>,
Nigel Heather <nigel@<NO_SPAM> wrote:

| The generally regarded top 3 in alphabetical order are
|
| Phoenix
| Real Flight G3.5
| Reflex XTR

Yay for alphabetical order! Something to not argue about :)

| Order of price (in UK anyway - assume is true elsewhere)
|
| Real Flight G3.5 (most expensive)

In the US, $200, with a $25 gift certificate.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/realflight/gpmz4405m.html

Tower Hobbies also offers coupon code 011C5 for $25 off any order over
$149.

| Reflex XTR - two versions available (iVol and SlimStick) - this ranking is
| for the SlimStick version - iVol version may be more expensive than G3.5
| Phoenix (least expensive)

The US version, which comes with something like the SlimStick, is $200.

I don't think you can even get the iVol or actual SlimStick in the US.

| Phoenix

$160 at Tower Hobbies.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPNM8&P=ML

... and that same coupon code 011C5 will work there.

So, in the US, price order seems to be XTR, RFG3, Phoenix.

Horizon Hobby just came out with FS One, which should have similar
features to the ones we just mentioned.

http://www.fsone.com/

And then there's Aerofly Pro Deluxe, which also seems similar --

http://www.aerofly.de/

I doubt you'd go wrong with any of these.
--
Doug McLaren, ***@frenzied.us
Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze.
G-Dawg
2007-05-13 13:33:56 UTC
Post by Ramey
Does anyone know what is the best helicopter simulator? Something
that either runs on Win XP or a stand-alone game with a joy stick I
would have to buy. I want to learn before I buy a real RC copter.
Thanks!
Ramey
One more option I forgot to mention... Clearview RC Flight Simulator

http://rcflightsim.com/

For $39.95 you have a lifetime license to this awesome simulator.
Photorealistic backgrounds, plenty of models, gret physics. "The ClearView
RC Simulator Personal License includes free lifetime upgrades."

Anyway, I support this guy's work. You will need a simulator cable and your
radio (or a cheap radio you can pick up on ebay or something). All the info
is at the ClearView site.

I always recommend this program for serious folks who don't have serious
cash to spend right away.

-Gary
Ramey
-Gary
Cruzzzinaround
2007-06-02 01:06:30 UTC
Post by Ramey
Does anyone know what is the best helicopter simulator? Something
that either runs on Win XP or a stand-alone game with a joy stick I
would have to buy. I want to learn before I buy a real RC copter.
Thanks!
Ramey
gOggle search FMS flight model simulator free downoad
with addons all over the net
planes and choppers good basic simulator
Marc Heusser
2007-06-02 07:46:13 UTC
Post by Ramey
Does anyone know what is the best helicopter simulator? Something
that either runs on Win XP
Reflex XTR and Phoenix are said to be good - both need your own RC (a
cheap one will do).

HTH

Marc
--
Switzerland/Europe
<http://www.heusser.com>
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail
Steve R
2007-06-02 14:27:07 UTC
Post by Marc Heusser
Post by Ramey
Does anyone know what is the best helicopter simulator? Something
that either runs on Win XP
Reflex XTR and Phoenix are said to be good - both need your own RC (a
cheap one will do).
HTH
Marc
I've had the RealFlight G3.5 for some time now and recently bought the
Phoenix. I tried it because of the positive comments I've heard on this
forum and other web forums out there and was curious.

The G3.5 has it's own controller. The Phoenix is ordered with a USB adaptor
to plug into your own transmitter. Some may have issues with added wear and
tear on their personal transmitter but I like having the feel of the radio
I'm used to and I also like being able to program the sim through the
transmitters programming. I haven't found the G3.5's computer programming
to be that intuitive so far. Using my Futaba 12Z is a lot easier for me
mainly because I'm familiar with it.

Looking at both sims strictly from the point of view of how they "simulate"
the RC model, both are excellent, but neither are 100%. My G3.5 has never
been that great on hover trim. The model never seems to lock in like the
real bird will do. The Phoenix sim is much better in this regard. The G3.5
also gets very touchy in pitch attitude in fast forward flight. The rotor
system digs and diverges out when pulling a loop or turn from really fast
forward flight. I know this isn't entirely unusual in the real world either
but for most part, my real birds don't do this. I've got to put them in a
high speed dive at full power to provoke this kind of behavior. They never
do it from level flight like the G3.5 will do. The Phoenix is better in
this regard too. Both sims deliver "way" too much rotor inertia at the
bottom of an autorotation although the Phoenix is a little more realistic.
The G3.5 can't spool up it's rotor system without spinning the model on the
ground unless you're very, VERY, slow and careful about it. It's like
there's no friction between the skids and the ground at all. The Phoenix
will roll over and kill itself almost every time you land unless you bottom
the collective as soon as it touches. As long as the model is level and not
moving when the skids touch, this shouldn't happen. The G3.5 does seem to
be a little more realistic when it comes to 3D type flying. The way it
behaves feels closer to what my real models do in stationary flips, rolls,
and kaos'. The Phoenix does these things well too but I think it makes
these maneuvers a little easier to do which probably isn't a bad thing for
most folks. I'm not a strong 3D pilot. I'd like to get better and I think
having a sim that more accurately does what my real models do is more of an
asset so from that standpoint, I've have to give the nod to the G3.5 on this
point.

Both sims have excellent graphics although I think the Phoenix is a little
better than the G3.5. The lighting and contrast seems more lifelike on the
Phoenix and the model is definitely easier to see at a distance. Also, I
think the sim's auto zoom function works a little better on the Phoenix. I
seem to have a easier time of judging how far away the model is and how fast
it's approaching on the Phoenix than I do on the G3.5.

All in all, you really can't go wrong with either the RealFlight G3.5 or the
Phoenix but for me, now that I've got a fair amount of time on both, if I
had to choose one over the other, I'd keep the Phoenix.

FWIW!
Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Kenneth Lantrip
2007-06-04 21:09:50 UTC
Post by Steve R
Post by Marc Heusser
Post by Ramey
[...]
Good review there Steve.

I suppose Phoenix does too, but RealFlight has an auto-update feature.
This means that as they figure out how to fix the flight simulating,
then the program will get that right too.

I'm just a little surprised that they haven't fixed it already.
T***@dbzmail.com
http://www.flying-model-simulator.com
Bob Holdford